Friday, June 18, 2010

"Somebody STOP me!"

Ever since we moved in to our new house I've felt torn between "I want my house to look nice NOW" and...well...our bank account. I promised myself that I was not going to just slap paint on the walls and then throw pictures up (which, yes, is what I usually end up doing). But, I also promised myself that I wasn't going to pay full price for anything to decorate at a "real store". Meaning I'm sticking to places like Big Lots, craigslist, garage sales, the Habitat Re-Store, and I've even attempted a few Good Will projects. So far it's worked pretty well, and I've been especially proud of the things I've gotten at Good Will and with a coat of paint, have looked good!
However, even with my frugal attitude I still feel guilty. Even if I'm buying things for half price off craigslist, it's STILL costing money and still adds up if I go crazy. Trent reminded me this week that its going to take awhile for this place to look "put together". I'm so thankful for him! But then tonight, I was in Big Lots and I found this pictures (that was 1\2 price) and I stood there and looked at for probably 20 minutes telling myself, "Its a good deal and will look perfect in the living room," then..."You've spent enough money this week on 'home' stuff, just put it back". I even almost asked an Army guy that was also looking at pictures if he thought it was worth it. So in the end....I bought it. And felt good about getting a good deal....for about 5 minutes. Then I felt guilty again. And the words, "SOMEBODY STOP ME!" came to mind. I think its from the movie 'The Mask'?
I want this place to look 'together' so bad...but my husband is right. It's just going to take awhile, and that's ok! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment